New shared repository (used as sub-module for other projects)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New shared repository (used as sub-module for other projects)

lcestari
Hi everybody,

I was solving an issue with coveralls and I noticed something very cleaver that they did that might be useful for us too. They have an etc folder in the projects like https://github.com/trautonen/coveralls-maven-plugin jut like we do but instead to maintain the duplicate content it created a sub-module using another repository for that ( https://github.com/trautonen/etc ) .

What do you think if we do the same with lightblue? Any suggestions ?

Regards,
Luan
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New shared repository (used as sub-module for other projects)

jewzaam
Administrator

The downside is folks that checkout the code should get home this first to get the settings.xml. And keep it up to date. I think we would need to keep the .travis.yml in the rood dir or travis won't work. This isn't a big issue if all steps have script instead of being setup in that file.

Is there a way to have the submodule initialized on git clone or checkout? I'm not opposed to doing this, but submodules commands are not intuitive and the existence of the submodules could easily be missed.

Naveen

Reply | Threaded
|

lcestari
About the .travis.yml file in the rood dir problem, maybe using git hooks it could get the file on etc folder and replace on the root (so it would end up with two .travis.yml files but we would just manager one for all repositories).

For submodules, we can use --recursive with git-clone. Maybe there are other ways, maybe using hooks too.
Reply | Threaded
|

jewzaam
Administrator
I'm just assuming the people cloning will not know about the submodule so if we can make it so a simple git-clone without --recursive will fetch the submodule then I have no problem.  Otherwise there's going to be frustrated people.

On Thu Jan 22 2015 at 8:31:54 AM lcestari [via lightblue-dev] <[hidden email]> wrote:
About the .travis.yml file in the rood dir problem, maybe using git hooks it could get the file on etc folder and replace on the root (so it would end up with two .travis.yml files but we would just manager one for all repositories).

For submodules, we can use --recursive with git-clone. Maybe there are other ways, maybe using hooks too.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
To start a new topic under lightblue-dev, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from lightblue-dev, click here.
NAML